Top 5 Breastfeeding Tips for a Successful Breastfeeding Journey
1. Feed your baby within the first hour of birth. Why? After this they become sleepy and have a recovery sleep. Get that colostrum in ASAP.
2. Skin to Skin ++ Strip your baby down to their nappy, pop them on your chest and have snuggles. As well as it being a super lovely time having these cuddles it will also benefit you both greatly. Skin to skin helps regulate your newborns temperature and helps stimulate those hormones that produce milk. It also helps regulate their blood sugar levels and steady's their heart beat. You will notice their early feeding cues much more easily in this position too.
3. Night 2 is EXHAUSTING! Feed, Feed, Feed. Cluster feeding is NORMAL during this time, go with the flow, they are bringing in your milk which is a GREAT thing.
4. Get the latch right. If you are unsure ask for help! Nipple tenderness is common for the first 7-10 days and peaks day 3-4. Nipple pain that extends beyond 14 days is not normal. See a Lactation Consultant.
5. Breastfeeding support is the key to a successful journey. If it's not going well, ask for help!